Monkeypox statistics: Monitoring the outbreak in NYC and past
Welcome to the Gothamist Monkeypox stats web page!
- The New York Division of Well being identifies between 60 and 70 new circumstances each day. Authorities say there are probably many extra circumstances that haven’t been picked up by testing.
- New York State continues to steer the nation in monkeypox circumstances, with almost 2,300 circumstances reported as of August 12. The overwhelming majority of those circumstances have been found in New York, largely amongst LGBTQ+ New Yorkers.
- These charts shall be expanded and improved as extra metropolis, state, and federal knowledge turns into obtainable.
In Could of this 12 months, New York Metropolis recognized its first case of monkeypox, an infectious illness attributable to the virus of the identical title. Two months later, the world turned the epicenter of monkeypox in america, prompting metropolis officers to declare the outbreak a public well being emergency.
Throughout this episode, the town overcame vaccine shortages, technical points with well being web sites and suspected retaliation within the well being division because it provides one other public well being menace to its already overloaded plate. . For the reason that present outbreak has primarily affected LGBTQ+ New Yorkers, it exposes pre-existing gaps within the healthcare system that always serves this neighborhood. The virus may additionally reshape the definition of a sexually transmitted an infection.
The excellent news is that municipal, state, and federal governments have all began sharing some type of monkeypox knowledge. Right here we’ll compile probably the most helpful datasets that can assist you observe the outbreak and keep secure.
The graphs, tables and maps on this web page are up to date with the most recent knowledge day by day or weekly. We replace the textual content of the article about as soon as per week. The final textual content replace was on August 16.
Need totally different metrics on this web page? Please ship questions or feedback to SciHealthData@wnyc.org.
New York Metropolis has prioritized communities at present most prone to the virus in its rollout of the JYNNEOS vaccine towards monkeypox, which is extraordinarily uncommon.
Eligible people should meet all the following standards:
- Homosexual, bisexual or different males who’ve intercourse with males and/or transgender, gender non-conforming or non-binary
- 18 or older
- Having had a number of or nameless sexual companions within the final 14 days
Alternatively, they have to be a detailed contact of a identified case of monkeypox.
Anybody can catch monkeypox, however the present outbreak has overwhelmingly affected homosexual and bisexual males. The town has additionally recorded a handful of circumstances amongst transgender and non-binary New Yorkers.
Folks in these communities are much less probably than different New Yorkers to have a daily main care supplier, making it tougher for them to get examined and handled for monkeypox.
Presently, New York has the best variety of monkeypox circumstances of any state in america, however California, Florida and different populated states are additionally fighting outbreaks. All states besides Wyoming have reported not less than one optimistic take a look at end result.