This genius trick will change the way you make oatmeal
I am not a giant countertop “equipment”. I choose to make use of a range, oven or grill to prepare dinner fairly than the gradual cooker, microwave or air fryer. Nevertheless, I like a rice cooker.
Rice will be such a tough meals to organize, however a rice cooker takes the guesswork out. And it makes actually scrumptious rice, each time.
Are you aware what else he can do? Makes ridiculously good rolled oats.
My dad beloved these particular person packets of Quaker Immediate Oatmeal, particularly the maple brown sugar taste, which had been a staple in our home for so long as I can keep in mind. (I additionally keep in mind a couple of school buddies residing fully on an “oatmeal food plan” for every week or extra, however that is a dialog for one more day.)
As for the precise oats, I typically tossed them into chocolate chip cookie dough, however hardly ever made oatmeal “from scratch” on the stovetop. It felt a bit extra like a enterprise, particularly on a frenetic morning.
That every one modified once I began utilizing the rice cooker, which is nearly fully hands-off.
Need extra meals writing and recipes? Subscribe to Salon Meals’s publication, The Chunk.
To make oatmeal utilizing a rice cooker, you completely should use quaint rolled or metal minimize oats. Immediate or quick-cooking oats will not be ultimate on this case, as they might seemingly change into overcooked and gummy in a rice cooker.
Additionally needless to say quantities of liquid (milk, cream, oat milk, water, and so forth.) will range enormously relying on the oats you select, your particular rice cooker, and your particular person preferences in oatmeal matter i.e. unfastened and runny, thick and wealthy or someplace in between. You may also select to make them vegan, vegetarian or fully carnivorous – the journey is fully as much as you.
- 1 cup oats (ideally quaint, rolled or metal minimize)
- 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 cups of liquid of your selection (milk, cream, oat milk, water, and so forth.)
- Kosher salt
- Vanilla and/or maple extract, optionally available
- Toppings of your selection
- Plug the rice cooker wire into the outlet.
- Add oats, liquid, salt and extracts, if utilizing. Activate the rice cooker or change to the “porridge” setting in case your rice cooker has that possibility.
- You need to have excellent, thick rolled oats in quarter-hour. Some rice cookers robotically flip off after sensing meals has been cooked or liquid has been absorbed; if you would like it a little bit extra cooked, the “heat” setting ought to do the trick.
- Switch to a bowl and end along with your ultimate toppings.
Prepare dinner’s Notes
– Oatmeal fillings are such a diverse wonderland of textures, flavors, temperatures and consistencies. Go together with the usual and high with floor cinnamon and a splash of maple syrup. Conversely, add raisins or currants, honey, banana, granola, strawberries, toasted nuts, berries, pumpkin seeds, dried fruit, jam, applesauce , chocolate chips and nut butter. The mixtures are countless.
– I additionally like the new spices in oatmeal; assume cinnamon, however take it up a notch with cardamom, cloves, floor ginger, mace and related flavors.
– Go the way in which of salty oatmeal, which is a vastly underrated work. High with crispy bacon, different breakfast meats, eggs, avocado, recent herbs, veggies, roasted tomatoes, or no matter you would like.
– Should you like, be at liberty to spray some cooking spray to verify the oats do not stick.
Salon Meals writes about issues we predict you may like. Though our editorial staff has independently curated these merchandise, Salon has affiliate partnerships, so making a purchase order by means of our hyperlinks could earn us a fee.